Pages

4.12.2012

i'm here to make you smarter.

last night, a group of 5 ladies (myself included) sat around a wooden table and talked about our wedding cakes. i don’t care who you are, once you get married, you’ll want to talk about the details of your own wedding at some point. even though it’s boring as heck.

my cake? i'm glad you asked. we bought it from publix, a local grocery store, and stuck flowers in it. cheap. pretty. classic (in the original sense of the word). if ya’ll didn’t know, classic is now a cool word that people use to describe anything they find to be especially hip. that’s right, i said hip. my best friend uses this word all the time.

48_524609147114_21314536_31220115_4331_nmy cake, obviously. anyone else feel like they would do everything so different now?

well, one girl was talking last night about her sister’s cake that had stair cases. stair cases. she yearned to have a barbie doll present with her as a little girl admiring such a thing, so that the barbie could explore the wedding cake like she would dream house. a cake that needs to be explored? this is a wedding people, not a children’s television show!

another girl told me that her parent’s had a wedding cake made by wal-mart. “wal-mart makes wedding cakes?” i asked. she was all, “oh my gosh, yes!” i was all, “woa.” lesson learned, right? wal-mart does everthing. what was i thinking? then she was like, “you know, those fountain wedding cakes? with the real fountain?” i was all, “what in the world are you talking about?!” the 3 other ladies joined me in awe. said girl smacked the table in a fury of shock.

i simply didn’t believe her. well, i was wrong. they made them 30+ years ago, and they still make them today. and with lights-i almost forgot that detail.

feast:

Untitled-1[the internet machine: picture 1 & picture 2]

look, i'm partly here because i care. but i'm mostly here to make you smarter. you can learn a few things from me. if you learn nothing from me, learn this: don’t have a fountain wedding cake. you would always, always regret it. if you’re reading this and you’ve had a fountain cake, and didn’t regret it, convince me.

just convince me that i'm wrong.

signature

22 comments:

Elisha(: said...

beautiful and YUMMY-looking cakes!!

Elisabeth said...

walmart makes cakes?? what in the world.
and fountains seem a little much - and i'd bescared all the cake would get wet...

Autumn said...

We got a cake rental. I think a lot of wedding cake tastes like cardboard...so the caterer actually decorates foam to look like a cake and then the top layer- the one we cut, is the only real one.

Our cake was beautiful for photos, the sheet cake we served was even better, and it came free with the catering. Win-win-win.

David said...

Well, we didn't have a wedding cake. Faith and I enjoyed our wedding cheesecake shortly before everyone else enjoyed their wedding banana pudding.

That's right.

Lindsay said...

I'm not a huge cake fan, so I said I didn't really care about our wedding cake. Apparently, I jinxed myself! We ordered a cake a few months in advance from a small bakery about 25 minutes from the wedding site. On the day of the wedding, the cake had not shown up when it was supposed to. Long story short, the cake showed up about 3 hours after it was supposed to and it was completely smashed! I think the lady forgot to make it and threw it together real quick and then was driving like a bat out of hell trying to get it there. Either way, I laughed about! It was really good cake actually and everyone kept going outside to eat the "trash can cake".

Shaylynn... I BLAHWG. said...

classic, it's gonna catch on.

When I get married i'm having a cake with Sticks n' Stuff sticking out of it. soo.......

Yael said...

hahaha. oh, fountain cakes.

for my own wedding, i baked (yes, myself) over 100 mini-cupcakes... which we also used as our favours. several guests took more than a few home with them, too, haha.

Kelsey Pauxtis-Thomas said...

I have to say, we spent a pretty penny on our wedding cake that only served 70 guests but our guests raved about it! It really was to die for! My hubby served 10 months in Afghan while I did all the wedding planning, and came home 2 weeks before the wedding, all he wanted was cake. I didn't care what he cost, he was getting the best cake money could buy! :)

Makaila said...

I love your cake! I would have never thought to get one at a grocery store, and I love the way you decorated it. Genius girl. Hmmm. Although. I think I really really like Autumn's comment and idea above best: Rent a Cake! LOL That's awesome. Cake is so over rated, anyway.

Jes said...

i don't know. i'm thinking that i really need myself a fountain cake at my wedding. want to know why? because the top tier is classic and the bottom is hip and it really is just the best of both worlds.

i vote yay.

Shaylynn... I BLAHWG. said...

CLASSIC BEST FRIEND-------------->

Brissa said...

fountain wedding cakes?!?!?!!? who thought that was a good idea? WHO?! that cake designer doesn't deserve to be called a cake designer. WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS TO THEMSELVES?!?!?

Morgan said...

my mind is blown

Beverly said...

I'm wedding cake shopping myself, and read this in great timing! Thank goodness I see the fountain in person LOL jk... who would get some a fancy shmancy cake like that?! NOT I!

I guess it's nice... if you have stairs wrapped around the cake too!! :)

Girls Love Fried Pickles said...

I was knocked up when I got married. I ate chicken tenders, had 5 minutes of yum yum and went to bed. We had waffles the next am.

Katie said...

I hate all the fancy cakes (fountains included). People care about the taste more.l, so bring on the sugary wal-mart goodness baby! :)

Kristie Colón said...

So I had this cake once, and it totally, totally leaned. It was awesome. I told everyone it was supposed to do that.

Amy, you are making the world a better place, one cake at a time. Thank you.

Ryan Adair said...

I love publix cakes! I like the raspberry swirl one the best! :)

Angie said...

I must admit I had a fountain cake! In my defense it was 13 years ago & they were the "in" thing at the time. I kinda don't regret it friend, my wedding was perfect. Maybe not to some but it was the moment I chose to spend the rest of my life with my husband and that in itself made every single detail in my eyes perfect. Oh and btw, I had stairs too LOL! I'd say my tacky wedding 13 years ago would have drove you insane ha ha!

Oh & FYI, Walmart sells everything. Like everything, caskets included. Don't believe me, go look on their website. I can't imagine going to Walmart to buy a casket. That's just odd to me!

Have a nice day dear friend

Sarah Elizabeth said...

If you're going to have a fountain in your cake, you really should just go all the way and hang that weird see-through fabric everywhere and make sure your wedding dress has very, very, puffed sleeves. (A la Anne of Green Gables)

Shaylynn... I BLAHWG. said...

I just came over to lecture you about how you need to blog for me today. I spent hours on my blog post today, hours.

and Sarah Elizabeth.. her comment.. wins.

Amy Dowell said...

LOL! That was classic ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...